Welcome!

WELCOME TO OUR BLOG about all our family travels and adventures. If you have traveled with us enjoy reading about our adventures together. If you are looking to learn how to travel or take adventures as a family, we hope we inspire you and we hope you find our experiences and advice helpful.
Experiencing our beautiful planet and all it's creations is a great way to bring your family closer together and you'll have memories that last a life time. Enjoy and Bon Voyage!
.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

BETWEEN A ROCK AND AN ANVIL Written by Eddie

Explorer of the Seas
Dec. 2005

PART 1

It was a beautiful day in St. Thomas. One of those days I will never forget. Turquoise water, lush mountains, a postcard day. We took a submarine tour below the calm waters and saw a myriad of strikingly colorful fish, including a rare sight, a giant spotted manta ray. I was reminded of the final scene in Finding Nemo.

I thought to myself that John and Lori would have loved this! They love to see and do everything and always make the best of a less-than-perfect situation. Like the time we took a road trip to Mexico.

We had hyped John and Lori about the trip for months. We told them about a French bakery in Ensenada and the wonderful napoleons and fresh Mexican coffee that they make there. We also shared with them some nice experiences that we had had in Mexico. The people were always friendly and hospitable.

One day we decided to break away from relaxing under our palapa and drive in to the big city. John was so excited about enjoying a yummy breakfast at the bakery and enjoying the sights of Ensenada. As we turned the highway bend to see the first glimmer of the bustling city John remarked, “Look at the beautiful skyline.” In reality it was smoggy and a bit overcast. I thought to myself that I want to be as positive when I grow up.

When we arrived at the bakery it seemed that no one was there. We knocked on the counter and called out a couple times until a man from around the corner came out all sleepy eyed. “Buenos dias”, he said as he put on his apron. There were only a few napoleons left and half a pot of coffee. We decided to split the napoleons and a few of us got coffee. I noticed that the napoleons looked a bit dry and the frosting was cracked, but decided not to say anything lest I might take the joy out of our morning. Someone in the group said, “These napoleons taste old and the coffee is awful!” We all nodded in agreement. We looked over at Johnny and he was grinning ear to ear, “Aren't these wonderful!” he said as he took another bite from his napoleon, “and the coffee is delicious too!” We just looked at each other with our eyebrows raised.

About a half hour down the road someone in the group said something about the rundown neighborhoods. I looked over at Johnny, who was sitting in the passenger's seat with his eyes closed, and asked him if he had seen such abject poverty in other third-world nations. He didn't answer. From the back seat Lori piped in, “Johnny, Eddie asked you a question, didn't you hear him?” “Yeah, I heard him, he said calmly, but I was busy savoring little morsels of napoleon between my teeth.”

Back in St. Thomas we returned from the submarine voyage and asked around if any one had seen John and Lori. Someone had seen them up on deck that morning, but that had been several hours ago. We went to investigate the upper deck. They were fast asleep. As we walked up they opened there eyes. I asked if they were okay. They remarked that they were recuperating from yesterday's wonderful excursion to the rainforest. I wondered how could they have had a “wonderful” time, but they did. I have a lot to learn.

The day before St. Thomas we were in Puerto Rico. It was an adventure, that's for sure! Month before the cruise we had sent a series correspondence to a highly recommended, but young, tour operator in San Juan. We told them that we had a group of travelers ranging in age from 3 years old to 83. He assured us that he could accommodate us. Though we were due to arrive late in the day, he said that if we were prompt in getting off the ship that he could show us the best of El Yunque Rainforest. (El Yunque is Spanish for anvil. So named because the mountain is shaped like a giant anvil)

The ship arrived abut an hour late into San Juan and some had trouble finding us in the terminal. Once we regrouped we quickly headed for the bus and jeep.

We traveled for a couple of hours through heavy traffic until we got out of the city and up to our destination. Along the way the guide would point out sights of interest. At one point he took out a small red parrot-shaped stuffed toy. He said that whoever identified this jungle animal first could have it . Several yelled out, “It's a parrot!” He turned to Jacob, who at 3 years old was the youngest in the group, and asked him if he knew what it was. Jacob said, “It's a scarlet macaw” I have a lot to learn.

Before the trip we had sent out a newsletter listing what to do, and what not to do, in the rainforest: Do bring bug spray. Don't wear flip flops. Do bring a pair of shoes that you don't mind becoming wet and muddy. Don't arrive late for the tour. Upon getting on the bus I noticed that several were wearing flip flops.

As we were driving through the curving mountain road, being paranoid as I am, I was watching the time. I thought to myself that since we were an hour late and it took 2 hours to get to the starting point we would need to make haste once we arrive otherwise we would be in danger of missing the ship. When we were getting out of the vehicles the tour guide informed us that the hike was 1.8 miles to La Mina Falls and another 2 miles on to where the vehicles would be waiting for us. (“4 miles at 2 miles per hour plus 2 hours drive to the ship equals 4 hours” I reasoned) “AHHH!” I screamed in my head, “we will NEVER make it!”



Between a Rock and an Anvil

PART 2

By the time I finished my calculations I turned around in horror to see Johnny, carrying a large backpack and disappear ¼ mile down the trail, “Where's Johnny going!” I asked Lori. She informed us that since he just learned that he has peripheral nerve disease he's not sure how he's gonna hold out so he wants to get way ahead so that no one has to wait for him.

I jogged up to catch him, asked him how he was, he said, “Great! “ and continued on. After about a mile I turned around to film everyone as they passed by. Wow, this was fantastic! The sounds of the rainforest birds and a river down over the embankment to our left, caused everyone to smile as they passed me by.

I grinned as everyone passed by, with thumbs up, one by one on the narrow muddy trail. Once everyone passed by I waited for Lori. I waited and I waited. It was okay since Johnny was way up ahead and we were moving at a pretty good pace. About the time I was about to give up and go find her, she came around a corner. A guide had his arm around her waist and she was slowly hobbling toward me. “Are you okay?” I shouted. She shouted back, “NO!” As she got closer I noticed that both of her knees were bloody. “Doesn't it figure”, she said sounding disgusted with herself, “I finally get to hike in the rainforest and as soon as I start I fall down!” The guide only spoke Spanish so I told him in my best Spanglish to catch up to the group, inform them that we will keep moving forward, but they should get Johnny to the bus.

After two or three steps I noticed that Lori could barely keep her footing, it was if she was walking on ice. I asked what was wrong. She told me that she had saved her sneakers for many years for such an occasion as this. What had happened was that the rubber had hardened to a sort of plastic. We would have to continue at a snail's pace. I checked my watch again. She asked if we were going to make it. I told her that we were going to be fine. I wasn't sure.

It was getting dark. I reasoned that we should be getting close to the bus. About that time we heard the sound of a waterfall. We came to a bridge and through the darkness we could just make out that we were standing face-to-face with La Mina Falls. Reality grabbed hold of me. We still had 2 miles to go! I checked my watch again.

Soon after we left the falls we noticed that there were a zillion fireflies lighting the way. Beautiful! It wasn't much longer that we heard voices. We were finally there! We could make it back to the ship after all! We soon recognized the voices. It was our group and we were still in the middle of the jungle! I checked my watch. Lori said, “We're not going to make it are we?” I told her that we just need to keep moving forward. By then I was sure we were NOT going to make it!

It turns out that Johnny's legs gave out about a mile or two in. Liz and Christine were following him as they walked along a cliff. Johnny stopped and, balancing on one leg, started to lean precariously toward the edge. Liz grabbed him and pulled him back. He didn't want to give his backpack to Christine so she motioned for Shawn to take it from Johnny. Later in the hike his legs gave out completely and Shawn had to lift him up by his belt loops and help him walk. The going was very slow, however, John was happy and positive the whole time. I have a lot to learn.

Boy were we happy to see the headlights of the bus which was waiting for us at the end of the trail. I reasoned that if it took us another 2 hours to get back down the hill we would never make it. I told the driver of the Jeep to race down as fast as he could and get Brian and Matt to the ship. Next I told Brian to stand on the gangway until we get on board, no matter what!

Much to my surprise it took about 40 minutes to get back to the ship. By this time of night there was no more traffic and it was free sailing all the way through town. We made the ship with only minutes to spare! Of course when we crossed the gangway Brian and Matt were not there. Later they said that they knew we would make it.

We were too late to make it to dinner in the main dinning room so we decided to go to Johnny Rocket's. We enjoyed the show as the waitstaff danced to 50's malt shop music. Shawn, Liz, Christine and I reminisced as we ate burgers and fries and drank chocolate malts. That night instead of singing, dancing, laughing and eating again, we all went to bed early.

About noon we returned to the ship after the submarine tour in St. Thomas. I went to our room and positioned my lounge chair on our balcony so that I could people watch as the passengers returned from their busy day on St. Thomas. I thought to myself that there is no way their day could have been as exciting as our was in El Yunque. I guess I dozed off because about 6PM Christine woke me and asked me if I was going to dinner. I guess John and Lori weren't the only ones that needed an enjoyable nap.....AAAHHH, I'm learning.

Travel Tip: No matter what unexpected situation happens, just make the best of it, enjoy it, you're on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment